TheManaDrain.com
January 28, 2020, 09:11:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Eudemonia Vintage Tournament: July 28, 2013
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: EUDEMONIA SUMMER VINTAGE TOURNAMENT JULY 28, 2013  (Read 10338 times)
Smmenen
2007 Vintage World Champion
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« on: April 29, 2013, 08:30:52 pm »

http://www.eudemonia.net/

http://www.eudogames.com/magic/eternal

http://www.eudogames.com/magic/vintage-jul28

WHAT: VINTAGE! Tournament

Swiss + Top 8.

Entry is $25

PRIZES:

17 or more players:
1st Place: 40% of Prize Pool
2nd Place: 20% of Prize Pool
3rd Place: 10% of Prize Pool
4th Place: 10% of Prize Pool
5th-8th: 5% of prize pool each

Under 17 players:
1st place: 40%
2nd Place: 30%
3rd Place: 15%
4th Place: 15%

93% of entry will go to prize pool.  Prize is store credit.

WHERE:

Eudemonia
2154 University Ave, Berkeley CA 94704
510-883-0814 info@eudemonia.com

If you need to car pool to Berkeley, post your needs and we'll find someone whom you can travel with. I'll start a signup if necessary.

PROXIES: 15 Proxies will be permitted

How to make proxies:
http://www.eudogames.com/magic/proxy-cards

WHEN: Sunday, July 28h, 2013

Registration starts at 12:00. Registration will close and the tournament begins at 1PM. To save time, consider typing or writing up your decklist ahead of time.

Results from the last event are posted here: http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=45217.0

PUT THIS DATE ON YOUR CALENDARS NOW!!!

SEE YOU ALL THERE!!!!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:40:27 pm by Smmenen » Logged

Dr Delicious
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:51:13 pm »

I should be there (hopefully in time to enter this time).  Nice to see the price of admission drop slightly.  I'd happily hitch a ride with someone driving up from SF, but I'll do BART if I need to.
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 02:12:30 am »

Just a reminder to folks to mark your calendars and take the day off work if needed.   Also, Eudemonia has announced a bunch of Legacy tournaemnts as well, so it should be a great summer in Norcal!

Be sure to check out all of the Eternal action this summer: http://www.eudogames.com/magic/eternal

Let's show Eudemonia that we want to continue to support Vintage in the Bay!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:20:08 am by Smmenen » Logged

rukcus
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 12:13:14 pm »

Again, my concern is that Top 8 prizing should be AT LEAST the entry. This system proposed does not achieve that for a tournament between 17 to 21 players.

Considering we had 21 last time (with 2 from So Cal); I don't feel this tournament is worth attending.

Players171819202122
1st158167177186195205
2nd7984889398102
3-4th404244474951
5-8th202122232426
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:21:08 pm by rukcus » Logged
aahz
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 12:20:20 pm »

Can't fault your arithmetic (actually I didn't even try Wink), but I remember Dean posting in the last thread that 5-8th would get entry fee back at a minimum.
See here

As for the point about 5-8th not getting their entry fee.  This was an oversight and it will not happen again.
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 01:22:21 pm »

Again, my concern is that Top 8 prizing should be AT LEAST the entry. This system proposed does not achieve that for a tournament between 17 to 21 players.

Considering we had 21 last time (with 2 from So Cal); I don't feel this tournament is worth attending.

Players171819202122
1st158167177186195205
2nd7984889398102
3-4th404244474951
5-8th202122232426

We promise that top 8 will be paid out no less than the entry.   I'll make sure that happens, so please don't let that discourage you from attending!

heiner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 02:21:35 pm »

I don't feel this tournament is worth attending.
Monetary-wise this is correct. Even getting paid minimum wages, you're probably better off taking a sunday shift at McDonalds then attending a Magic tournament. There's only a handful of players in the world for whom it "is worth" to play Magic. 

For me a Magic tournament is like going to the movies, you pay your 20$ and in return get a good time. If you get something back, great! even better.
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 04:05:50 pm »

Yeah, I hate to say it, but if a $2 difference is going to make the difference between attending or not, your priorities are probably not right Smile

But as I said, Eudo has already PROMISED that the top 8 will get back their entry free.

Seriously though, we are trying to rebuild Vintage in the Bay area.   The bay used to be one of the hubs of Vintage in the WORLD.  

Eudemonia has graciously agreed to help us rebuild -- let's take advantage of it!   Let's show up and prove that we can make Vintage great again here.

The Legacy tournament at Eudo on Sunday had 30 players.  Why can't we match that???

If you care about Vintage, and want to have more Vintage tournaments in California, you need to stand up and show up!  That way we can have more tournaments!

Campee
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 04:20:33 pm »

I should be able to go and will try to make it.
LotusHead
Full Members
Basic User

Team Vacaville

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 03:23:29 am »

I promise to play at least 57 Vintage playable cards this time. Smile

Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 09:04:35 pm »

Final reminder!  This is next Sunday!  I will be there.  Let's really show up in force!

liberalbias
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 12:08:27 am »

I got a hall pass, can't wait to play some Vintage!
heiner
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 02:14:39 pm »

anybody from the Peninsula driving up?
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 02:51:22 pm »

This one's about an hour away. I'm going to try to make the trip!

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
liberalbias
Basic User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 09:53:54 am »

I'm driving up from Mountain View and am happy to give rides.
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 05:46:29 pm »

Please coordinate with each other to make sure everyone has rides. 

Heiner, Rich, etc -- you all are coming from the same direction!

This should be great fun and intense competition.   With Rich Shay, Blaine and myself -- that's three Vintage Champs finalists Smile  As competitive as anything in the midwest or east coast Smile

Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 05:38:08 pm »

See everyone tomorrow!

LotusHead
Full Members
Basic User

Team Vacaville

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 07:47:26 pm »

Super stoked! Got a deck and 4 cards ready to lend to new Vintage players already lined up, plue Heiner Shay, Smennen, BC, and the other gang of idiots ready to sling cardboard! have 5 cards in my 75 that I've never played in Vintage before!

Also, just remembered, that 62/13 is acceptable now as rules have changed!

Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 06:23:32 pm »

24 players in the house! Follow my progress on twitter!

Samoht
Adepts
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 08:56:37 pm »

Man, outside assistance is so good I heard. Who needs optional triggers anymore?

Char? Char you! I like the play.
-Randy Bueller

I swear I'll burn the city down to show you the light.

The best part of believe is the lie
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 11:18:33 pm »

Nice trolling there. 

Yeah, apparently Chalice of the Void, despite the wording of the card and the way I thought it worked for the vast majority of its existence, is no longer a mandatory trigger.   

I was given a match loss in the top 8 for pointing out a missed Chalice trigger to a match in round 5 between Rich Shay and Jeff Neilson (Lotushead).  Rich played Black Lotus into Jeff's Chalice @ 0, and Jeff didn't notice it.   There was another time in the match when Rich didn't notice a Chalice trigger. 

The judge told me the infraction was outside assistance, and the penalty was a match loss. My top 8 opponent was gracious enough to play anyway so that I could write a cool turnament report.

What an absolute beating.   I don't know what the proper penalty for a situation like that is, but to say that I'm disappointed/frustrated is an understatement.   

I played a ridiculously awesome Grow deck, went 3-0 and then double ID, but missed an opportunity to play Rich Shay, Heiner, etc in the top 4.  That's the worst part of the entire situation.   I play this format to enjoy high level magic matches like that.  There were two other things I gave up to not only help organize this tournament, but attend it.   

Before people start piling on, just think about the fact that I already paid the penalty  the match loss, so try not to pile on Sad 

Lesson learned.  That will be the last time I ever comment on a match I'm observing, no matter what I see! 

Samoht
Adepts
Basic User

Team RST

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 12:10:51 am »

Nice trolling there. 

Yeah, apparently Chalice of the Void, despite the wording of the card and the way I thought it worked for the vast majority of its existence, is no longer a mandatory trigger.   

I was given a match loss in the top 8 for pointing out a missed Chalice trigger to a match in round 5 between Rich Shay and Jeff Neilson (Lotushead).  Rich played Black Lotus into Jeff's Chalice @ 0, and Jeff didn't notice it.   There was another time in the match when Rich didn't notice a Chalice trigger. 

The judge told me the infraction was outside assistance, and the penalty was a match loss. My top 8 opponent was gracious enough to play anyway so that I could write a cool turnament report.

What an absolute beating.   I don't know what the proper penalty for a situation like that is, but to say that I'm disappointed/frustrated is an understatement.   

I played a ridiculously awesome Grow deck, went 3-0 and then double ID, but missed an opportunity to play Rich Shay, Heiner, etc in the top 4.  That's the worst part of the entire situation.   I play this format to enjoy high level magic matches like that.  There were two other things I gave up to not only help organize this tournament, but attend it.   

Before people start piling on, just think about the fact that I already paid the penalty  the match loss, so try not to pile on Sad 

Lesson learned.  That will be the last time I ever comment on a match I'm observing, no matter what I see! 

Just call a judge in the future. Even if it was erroneously missed by either party, the correct thing to do is stop the match and acquire a judge. The rule change is actually pretty recent, within the last year. All beneficial triggers are now considered optional. This is not just Chalice or Dark Confidant, but anything. The opponent can force you to "remember" your trigger.

The correct penalty for outside assistance is always a match loss. It's quite unfortunate that it happened in t8, but the timing worked out that way as your result for r5 was already entered.

Char? Char you! I like the play.
-Randy Bueller

I swear I'll burn the city down to show you the light.

The best part of believe is the lie
Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 12:21:45 am »

Yeah, I will either call a judge or just not get involved.  

I left -- for understandable reasons -- but I see that Rich Shay took it down!  Congrats!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:40:39 am by Smmenen » Logged

JACO
Full Members
Basic User

Don't be a meatball.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 01:33:54 am »

That's unfortunate to hear. I didn't even realize Chalice of the Void's effect was a trigger. I thought it countered stuff as a state based action, kind of like how Sphere of Resistance or Trinisphere makes spells cost more mana.

That being said, anytime you notice something wrong with the game, the preferred remedy is to request that players stop momentarily while you grab a judge and inform them of whatever infraction you believe to have occurred.

Want to write about Vintage, Legacy, Modern, Type 4, or Commander/EDH? Eternal Central is looking for writers! Contact me. Follow me on Twitter @JMJACO. Follow Eternal Central on Twitter @EternalCentral.
The Atog Lord
Administrator
Basic User

The+Atog+Lord
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 02:35:29 am »

Thanks to Eudemonia for hosting this awesome event! I haven't had the opportunity to play Vintage in a couple of years, and I was really happy to be able to get to this. This tournament was a great reminder of what makes Vintage such a special format. It isn't just the excitement of trying to find an answer to your opponent's overwhelming card advantage, and it isn't just trying to find a way to win with Yawgmoth's Will at five mana. Vintage is ultimately a great format because of the people who play Vintage. This tournament was a chance to see old friends and a chance to to make new friends.

Here's the deck I played. I've been calling it Young Americans for absolutely no good reason.

// Land
1 Island
2 Volcanic Island
1 Library of Alexandria
7 Blue Fetch
2 Tropical Island
2 Underground Sea

// Mana
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sol Ring

// Creatures
3 Deathrite Shaman
2 Young Pyromancer
1 Trinket Mage
4 Dark Confidant
1 Snapcaster Mage

// Broken
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Demonic Tutor
4 Force of Will
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Time Walk
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Yawgmoth's Will

// Other
3 Mental Misstep
3 Lightning Bolt
3 Gitaxian Probe
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Cabal Therapy
1 Grapeshot
1 Skullclamp

SB: 1 Flusterstorm
SB: 3 Nature's Claim
SB: 2 Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 1 Yixlid Jailer
SB: 1 Ancient Grudge
SB: 1 Lightning Bolt
SB: 1 Red Elemental Blast
SB: 2 Trygon Predator
SB: 2 Pyroblast
SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt

I hope to have the time to write up a tournament report soon. Basically, I made this deck because I wanted to play Young Pyromancer. I think that Pyromancer is a very powerful card in Vintage, and he was very strong for me today -- especially against Workshop decks. Thanks to my teammates on ECW for giving me lots of helpful feedback on my list. Thanks to Treblocaz, who gave me the idea for running Grapeshot. Grapeshot is a neat card that can be used to kill the opponent after a large Yawgmoth's Will, or to clear out your opponent's supply of one-toughness creatures.

And, as for what happened with Steve. Steve said it was an honest mistake. He apologized. I believe him.

Again, thanks to Eudemonia and everyone who showed up today! I really hope I can write a report soon about this deck.

The Academy: If I'm not dead, I have a Dragonlord Dromoka coming in 4 turns
LotusHead
Full Members
Basic User

Team Vacaville

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 04:43:00 pm »

Man, outside assistance is so good I heard. Who needs optional triggers anymore?

EDIT: I meant to copy/paste this bit and post in the tourney thread (which I may have), but didn't intend to just post this little bit. Sorry for any confusion. Smile
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:41:35 pm by LotusHead » Logged

dustin
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 03:03:12 pm »

@Pure Scrubbery (from the other, locked thread) -- you have no email in your profile.

I live in SF and would be down for testing / practicing T1 sometime.

i'm also into 'old school' mtg: http://oldschool-mtg.blogspot.com/

my email is in my profile if anyone wants to play either format.

good times at the tournament sunday...
chosenlg
Basic User

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 12:37:43 am »

So when is the next tournament?
LotusHead
Full Members
Basic User

Team Vacaville

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 02:14:59 am »

Eudo judge mentioned Legacy for Beer! (ie, beer is entry fee, power is prize in I think late august), then Vintage for Power in I assume September. Plus Vacaville will have a VIntage tourney most likely involved From The Vault: Jace2.0! in Oct or something.

All is in flux right now. Can't wait to hear from Clariax!

Smmenen
Adepts
Basic User

Smmenen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2013, 05:22:46 pm »

So when is the next tournament?

We'll see. 

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: